Winterwoods ABCs Cross Stitch Sampler Kit (and Embroidery Supplies) For You

Winterwoods2

Hi! How are you? I've been busy! Are you ready to work on a cross stitch sampler? Because the kit for this one is almost ready for you, and will be starting to ship in about two weeks! Yes. I am very, very excited about this.

Winterwoods3

The Winterwoods ABCs Cross Stitch Sampler Kit is now ready to order here!

This counted cross stitch sampler was inspired by our walks in the woods near Mt. Hood, Oregon, this winter. It is stitched on 28-count linen (that's 14 stitches per inch) with variegated hand over-dyed six-strand cotton embroidery floss. Because the floss is naturally variegated, each element of the sampler contains variations of color and hue, giving the motifs depth and texture with very little effort on your part.

If you are new to counted cross stitch, or need some quick lessons to refresh your memory, please be sure to read my counted cross stitch tutorial before you start. (Oh, and this is how I organized my floss.) Once you get the hang of it, this sampler is simple to work up and I think you'll have it done in no time! (But not too quick, 'cause it's the type of thing you want to hang out with a while.)

Finished Size of Design Area: 8" x 10" (20cm x 27cm)

This Winterwoods ABCs Cross Stitch Sampler Kit contains:

One 14" x 16" (36cm x 41cm) piece of 28-count Cashel linen in Smokey Pearl
Fourteen colors of Weeks Dye Works hand over-dyed 6-strand cotton embroidery floss
Stitching instructions and color cross-stitch chart

You will need your own:

#24 tapestry needle(s)
Embroidery scissors
4" (10cm) embroidery hoop
Thread organizing supplies
Frame and framing supplies

I am now offering my favorite embroidery supplies in my web shop, should you need lovely, high quality tools. We have:

Scissors1

Gorgeous little embroidery scissors.

Hoop1

Hardwicke Manor 4" hoops.

Tape1

Twill tape to wrap around the inner hoop. You don't need to do this, but it's nice, and provides more tension to keep the fabric from slipping out of the hoop as you stitch.

TapestryNeedles1

Size #24 tapestry needles for cross stitch on linen.

To order any or all of the supplies (which will be shipped with the kits), please visit my web shop.

We will ship overseas and have a new shipping program for that! Yay yay. Very happy about that. To see the shipping costs for your location, just place the items in your cart and choose your location (or enter your zip code, if you are in the U.S.) and it will tell you how much the shipping is. As usual, I have a sincere request: Please check on and update your shipping address correctly in your Paypal preferences so that there is no confusion when we go to ship. We have a kind of a complicated system for making sure that everyone gets what they ordered on time, and post-ordering emails requesting address changes really mess with that when there are a lot of orders coming in at once. So if you can get it all straight on your end before placing your order, I would be ever ever ever so very, very grateful. Thank you.

I still have a rather complicated shopping cart system going on in my web shop. There are three different genres of things for sale in the shop: Kits and supplies, downloadable crochet patterns, and downloadable sewing and embroidery patterns. Kits and supplies orders that need to be physically shipped go directly through Paypal. To view the cart for them, click on the button at the top of the site that says "View Cart for Kits and Supplies." Crochet patterns go through Ravelry and are purchased one at a time. Sewing patterns go through another digital products service and can be purchased several at a time; to view the cart for them, click on the button at the top of the site that says "View Cart for Patterns Only." Kind of complicated, I know, but somehow it all seems to work out fine. But this year I truly do want to try to reconfigure my shopping system. If you have any confusion, just let me know and I will totally help steer you in the right direction.

As I mentioned, I expect to begin shipping on March 21. The printed patterns arrived last week and I think they look absolutely beautiful. The floss is all packaged. The embroidery supplies are here and are even prettier in person. The fabric (we've just been waiting for the fabric) arrives in New Jersey today or tomorrow, and then as soon as they're done cutting it there it will be on its way here to Oregon next week. The minute it arrives here we will begin final assembly of the kits and start packing them up. It's kind of an exciting, stressful time. I always get frazzled. And emotional. This project saved me this winter. I think about everybody out there stitching these, all over the country and the world, and it really makes me happy. I wonder if you will enjoy the process of making this, what you're watching on TV when you stitch, what's going on in your life, whether you are new to embroidery or old to embroidery. Every time we do kits there are so many of your names that I recognize, over and over again, on the orders. Thank you for that, sincerely. I am so grateful. I really hope you like this kit!!!

*If you have your own materials and are waiting for the downloadable PDF pattern for this sampler, it will be available in a few weeks, after we get the majority of these orders shipped is available here. Thank you!

***Kits are available here.

My guess for the "O" is a cut tree trunk so the circles are the exposed rings :)

I ordered mine yesterday, so excited!

nicola jayne says: March 10, 2012 at 07:46 AM

This is so beautiful. I am buying this, but will save it as my treat for next January! I envision a snowy January with Downton Abbey III on in the background, stitching by twinkly lights! Thank you Alicia for bringing such beauty to our fingertips.

I think the "O" is an eye, so Alicia can keep one on us to make sure we all finish our lovely samplers!!!!

This is so lovely and would look great on my wall;-).

Cindy Pittman says: March 10, 2012 at 06:27 PM

I just treated myself to your Winterwoods Sampler Kit! "Thank you very much", "Oh, you are so welcome." I'm sure it will be a delight just looking at the fine materials, examining your excellent chart, and knowing that you carefully shipped it. Thank you that the joy is multiplied by the fact that I've been able to get to know the heart of the creator of this work. Smile. smile.

Beautiful! If I wasn't in the middle of my final project at university I would love to sit and do this! I think I will wait for the PDF and probably sew this sometime in the Autumn :) x

OK, so lovin' those scissors that I just placed my order. I've been dreaming of stitching your Daisychain Sampler for a month now, so think I'll get that as well. I look forward to your inspiring blog everyday, and even if there's not a new post, I still stay and visit for awhile. Beautiful........Have a great day.

So sweet...It's just that when I was "reading" it I thought the little pictures represented the letter to the alphabet and I could not figure out how "mittens" began with "C"!!! OY! I blame it on the time change. And THANKS so much for the suggestion of binding the hoop. I am going to do that straight away! I love a taut fabric! As always...love coming to your site! It is TRULY me peaceful place on the web! Have an awesome week!

So amazingly lovely! I adore this pattern, I wish I was faster at cross stitch, as it is I have 2 unfinished pieces waiting.

My friend and I? We're IN! I haven't cross stitched since high school. I'm looking forward to a winter project!

I'm literally going to buy all the supplies! Yay!

I have ordered mine and I'm always impressed with how beautifully and carefully things are always presented! I always smile at the nice little postcards or notes left inside, even though I never expect them! Thank you for attending to your business with such attention to detail!!

While having a conversation with my mother-in-law about how excited I was about ordering the kit and supplies, I also had to order her a kit, Alicia you are contagious, I already have my plan to stitch everyday during lunchtime at work. Thank you so much,just can't wait.

SigrĂșn says: March 12, 2012 at 08:23 AM

This is so nice, I wish I was a cross-stitch-person :)

tacomapat says: March 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Oh, my. This is enchanting; I just ordered the kit and supplies. I have never crossed stitched and I've got your tutorial printed out in color and in clear plastic protectors already. I used to crewel embroider decades ago and I'm looking forward to this process. I love that you have chosen linen and variegated floss. This is a kit like no other and I am so looking forward to getting started on my first counted cross stitch project. You are absolutely inspiring. Thank you for sharing your life, home and talents with us.

Todd Slusar says: March 21, 2012 at 04:17 AM

I can't wait! Online tracking shows it will be here today!

Tomorrow, I am having surgery on my left foot, of all things (yikes!) with a long recuperation process ahead of me. I ordered your kit and supplies to give me something to do during this time, and to keep me distracted from the painful therapy I am facing. I knit, crochet and embroider, but I have never done cross stitch. It will be great to have something new to dig into. Your blog is an absolute joy- thanks to you and Andy for sharing all that you do with all of us!

Kim Starrett says: April 09, 2012 at 11:53 AM

What kind of camera do you use? Your photos are so amazing!!! I love to look at them and get inspired!!

Kim in NH

I love my kit...Thank you!!

Cynthia says: May 10, 2012 at 07:01 AM

I did it! I just now finished stitching my Winterwoods sampler, and I love it. This was my first cross stitch project, and it came out (don't mean to brag) great! Thanks to your excellent instructions, your beautiful design and fabulous kit, I have a lovely piece of artwork for my home (well, as soon as I complete the framing process with your tutorial.) It really saved me, also, as I started working on it right after foot surgery and through my painful, slow recovery. I am looking forward to the next project-hoping you do a kit for the floral sampler you have been designing. I need something to do while I continue my physical therapy-LOL!
Thanks again, Alicia and Andy for this wonderful project, and for sharing so many lovely things on your blog. Cynthia

Thank you for sharing. Love the colors you used, want to make this.

I love the flowers that you stitched in. Really pretty. This makes me want to buy a stitch kit and try being a artist myself.

jeannette says: May 16, 2013 at 06:48 PM

alicia the links to your cross stitch tute and webshop can't be linked from this post.

Hi Alicia, I wanted to share my finished Winterwoods Sampler with you. The framing job is not the best. But I so enjoyed stitching it! I worked on it last winter while in bed with a terrible cold. It helped nurse me back to health. I shared it on my little cross stitch blog and on Pinterest. Oh and thanks for allowing us to purchase hoops and scissors from your website too. The best! http://sewfrenchembroidery.blogspot.com/2014/11/winterwoods-sampler.html#more
Thanks again!
I'm such a fan of everything you do! I especially love your cross stitch patterns (wink wink).
Jill