Birthday Dream

ISnowy1

ISnow3

Boy did I ever have a great birthday. The self-timer picture above, with the camera on the tripod, was taken just an instant before Andy blew out all of my birthday candles. We were going to do it altogether but I don't know what happened. We tried again with just three candles, one for each of us, and that time Amelia blew all of those out one note before the song was over. There was a three-fold stunned pause followed immediately by the most sheepish little "Sorry, Mom" you've ever heard in your life, and then Andy and I, on exactly the same beat, burst into huge peals of laughter. It was the funniest, sweetest, dearest thing, and I'll never forget it. I love these two so much. When it started snowing around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday night, I thought I might explode with pure joy. It took Andy two and a half hours to get home on the streetcar and bus; he was giddy with delight though frozen solid when he finally walked through the door, neither of us realizing that it was even supposed to snow that day. Indeed, getting more than eight inches of snow here overnight pretty much threw the whole city into a complete state of wonder and disarray (and a few other things, I'm sure). Snow absolutely paralyzes Portland, Oregon, and this much snow hasn't fallen in this short amount of time in almost forty years. It was just extraordinary. It's still on the ground, and will be for several more days. Snow day after snow day after snow day. They hardly plow anything here, and they almost never salt. It all shuts down, and they tell you to stay home (though medical personnel never can, so Andy always has to go in, but he has had the past several days off). It's glorious. Everything's canceled, everything's quiet. The light in the house is so clear and bright I can hardly believe it's the same house. I put on the Yaktrax (bless those things — I've had them for about five years now and they have been life-changing) and we walked and walked. It's a bit colder now, and a little icy, but for the first three days it was just perfect snow — cold but not too cold, no wind, perfectly white. I mean, it was just . . . totally . . . excellent. We had lunch and hot cocoa at the bakery, went sledding at the park, hung out with all the neighbors, made waffles, ate dinner by candlelight (and thank you for all of the birthday wishes and birthday-dinner ideas; I wound up taking Nickie's suggestions of chicken à la king over rice and it was great snow-day food — thank you, Nickie!), played with the dollhouse (I'll tell you more about that later), took baths. Made miniature baskets. Hung out with neighborhood friends. Read books. Watched movies. Watched birds. Saw the full moon rise last night, and cut out old fabrics for a new quilt. I don't know. It was the best. It was just the total best. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

Jennifer Rucinski says: January 13, 2017 at 03:02 PM

Oh what a lovely way to spend your birthday! Happy happy!! Such beautiful pictures, thank you always for sharing :)

Happy belated birthday! Just beautiful - your pictures make life look so cozy this week. I took a walk around my house just to hear the crunch of snow - loved it. You guys must be having a blast - living in walking distance to so much. I always loved living in downtown Boston after a good snow.

diane willard says: January 13, 2017 at 03:15 PM

When it snows here in South Carolina, everything shuts down also. Then you have a day or two of free time. I always feel that it is a gift from God.

Happy Birthday, Alicia. Thank you for sharing your beautiful little world with us!

Heather Tewksbury says: January 13, 2017 at 03:18 PM

I have found that it really doesn't take much to be truly happy. Time with my family, a nice meal, to be warm and loved.
We are blessed. Enjoy every minute

Happy Birthday you dear girl. You deserve the best there is. The photos are wonderful. So glad you are in a photo for a change. Such a sweet cake with all the flags. The snow is lovely as well. Here in No. Calif. it's rain, rain, and more rain. Believe me, I'm not complaining. Although I lost a wonderful vintage tree. It just broke right in the middle and fell to the ground leaving a bare trunk. It was such a mainstay in my garden. Sad for sure. Thank you for the new post. Love to see what's up your way and with your lovely family. Happy New Year!

Lynn Marie says: January 13, 2017 at 03:20 PM

When I saw on the news that Portland was getting snow, I immediately thought of you and I just knew that you all would be thrilled.

Grinning from ear to ear for you!!! Happiest of Happy Birthdays to you!I live in the SoCal desert and I have my fingers crossed for snow, but I think we'll be passed over again....sigh. In this world of so much darkness and evil, I always find refuge in your words and photos. That precious little angel reminds me of my two daughters now 19 and 17 and I love reliving all the special ordinary days through your eyes. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing your world.

When I saw the weather reports, your Instagram pictures... I knew this post would be coming, this exuberant and lovely post, with your joyful gratitude and effusive reflections. And it made me glad to imagine how happy you must be feeling in your beautiful city, in your dear neighborhood, in your cozy home. It's such a lovely feeling to enjoy people's happiness. What a fitting, most deserved, and beautiful birthday wonderland. Best wishes for a year equal to this dream come true~

Happy Birthday, Alicia! It is wonderful that you share your happiness with us. I live in Medford, OR and we had over a foot of snow this last week. I loved watching it come down but I think I'm done now. Love all you photos and your sweet family. Keep warm okay.

Again, what a perfectly lovely post. Thrilled that you had such a special, happy birthday! 💞💜💞

Ha! You were the first person I thought of when I heard Portland was getting SNOW. What a great birthday treat for you!

Happy birthday Alicia! Thank you for your words and pictures. I have been reading your blog for six years and have never once, not even once, been disappointed in a post. It's always just exactly right. It was nice to see you in a picture too!

I have serious snow envy looking at your pictures, especially as we only had a tiny flutter here in my part of south west England. Hygge is a big thing at the moment in the UK, and perfectly describes your beautiful home which always looks so cozy and inviting.

oh I am so very glad to read this!!! the dinner sounds perfect, loving and just right! and all that snow! so beautiful! what magic! What a week of blessings for you, so so glad!!! God bless you, your husband and beautiful daughter!!! (and love those new quilt fabrics!! and the baths!! and doll house!!!)

SNOW, I love it so much. There is nothing in this wonderful world like it. I grew up in Michigan many many moons ago and I can't tell you just how happy I am to look out my window and see SNOW in my own yard. ❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️ 😍
Thank you for posting so many beautiful snow day(s) pictures. I hope you'll post them again when were in the middle of a hot Portland summer, so we can remember & smile knowing it just might happen again. 🙏

It is so much fun to see the snow on your side of town...you got more than our 6+ inches, but we are enjoying the snow as well. The men of the household made a snow ramp on our front yard slope, and most of my grand girls and their parents are having a great time swooping down it. I posted more snow pictures on my blog a few hours ago. Thanks so much for the link to the blog that inspired you to get Amelia's doll house. I have not decorated ours, but now would love to add lights as they did! I am so glad you had a lovely birthday and that you are loving the snow now. The storm before this one my youngest daughter took four and a half hours getting home from the VA hospital where she is a nurse to our home in Boring! She has been off during this storm fighting off asthmatic bronchitis symptoms. 😷 Wishing you and yours well and continued joy in our winter wonderland ❄️☃️❄️

Happy Birthday, Alicia!!!!! What a special birthday week you had with all the snow! Are you gong to wallpaper your dining room?

Happy Birthday Alicia! Today is my birthday! No snow in NM today but we may get some this weekend. One of our daughters lives in Portland so she and her hubby are enjoying the snow!

i cannot imagine anything better than birthday snow....i'm so happy for you! what a gift. i would say hope it was happy, but i already know it was!

Cat McKenzie says: January 13, 2017 at 04:56 PM

Happiest of Birthday's to you! What a special gift for you, almost a foot of snow in Portland! And it just keeps going on, with such cold weather it is lasting for so much longer than normal as well. I am sure you are in heaven.
I love, love, love the dollhouse, keep the photos coming please! I have already bookmarked the dollhouse for a few years down the line when my youngest granddaughter will be four, seems a perfect doll house age.
Thanks again for your lovely blog and photos that never cease to impress.

Pauline Lowe says: January 13, 2017 at 05:13 PM

Happy birthday! Sounds like it was precious day. The weather is amazing, love all the pictures of the snow. Down in Wellington, New Zealand we are having the worst summer - windy, wet, and unsettled. Some people still having fires at night! Our native Christmas trees, the pohutakawa have flowered late, meant to mean a late summer - here's hoping! All the best for 2017.

*h*a*p*p*y* *b*i*r*t*h*d*a*y* belatedly. what a beautiful post. new snow is awe-inspiring. i'm glad you have yaktrax. i bought some for my former husband when he fell on black ice walking our granddog at naperville's riverwalk and dislocated a knee. alicia, your prose is so lovely and comforting. i feel wrapped in warm blankies when i read your posts and enjoy your photos. thank you so much. a belated happy new year to you and your whole family as well.

Lovely, just lovely! Thank you. God bless. Happy birthday 🎁

Your snow is so incredible. Sounds wonderful. The snow shuts us down too. We haven't had a snow like that for 10 years or more. I am so glad you had a wonderful birthday. It is fun just hearing about it.