Happy New Year!

29Dollhouse1

Oh, the messy, bright blur and wonder of all of these days! For goodness sake. Where does the time go? I would've written sooner but I was too busy making a dollhouse floor out of Popsicle sticks and looking at every miniatures web site ever constructed for the perfect diminutive wallpaper. I certainly am enjoying Amelia's Christmas present! And everything else about the holidays. It's been a glorious few weeks. Christmas with a four-year-old is the absolute best.

Today the winter sun is shining ever so brightly, and it's so windy that my office is flashing with light. It's freezing cold. It's Amelia's first day back at preschool in three weeks. Ahem. Mummy is a bit  e x h a u s t e d. The holidays, no matter how "simple" you try to make them, wind up being crazy busy. At least for us. Yesterday I got to spend the day by myself, and that was the first day that I haven't spent pretty much all day (and night — she keeps waking up) with Amelia in the past weeks. I went out to lunch at the brewpub all by myself, and they gave me such an awesome table, right in front of the roaring fire. I ate fish tacos and read my book and texted my friends. Then I went to the bookstore for a few hours and then I went to JoAnn Fabrics. At JoAnn's, which was pretty much empty, I wandered aimlessly and thought about things like should I buy these seven little silver cones (apparently jewelry-making findings) for $3.49 or should I use an old toothpaste cap for a tiny pendant-light-fixture (made out of a drawer pull) escutcheon??? I think about things like this now, when I have time to think of things. It was quite wonderful to wander aimlessly. I even looked at a magazine. Yes. It was a really nice way to finish the "vacation."

I wish you all a very happy new year and hope that you had a wonderful holiday season! It's my birthday in a few days and I want to make something good for dinner but I don't know what. Any ideas?

***The raspberry thumbprint recipe can be found here; the dress pattern I made for Amelia is Simplicity #9297 from 1979, and the fabric is from the wonderful Pioneer Quilts; the dollhouse I got used on Craigslist (but the same one is here) and I was totally inspired to get it because of Artemis's darling version — seriously, is that not the cutest ever; and I made Meyer lemon pudding with some gorgeous lemons my dear friend Sarah gave me for Christmas the recipe is here. I honestly don't think you need to add the butter, and a little zest could easily replace half the lemon juice.

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday! Love that cute dollhouse and looks like Amelia does too! What a fun age! We try to keep the Holidays simple too, but it is soooo busy and crazy anyway. I make Eebleskivers on Christmas too - a family tradition we love and I even use great grandma's cast iron special pan. I'm trying to make some or the adorable ornaments (from felt) that you posted awhile ago - for next Christmas - ha, ha.

erin hisaw says: January 07, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Alicia, can you tell me about your lace/doily-covered windows in your living room? Is that a project you did yourself, and if so, would you kindly tell me about it?
We are moving soon into a small house in town (from a larger house in the country). Though I am so highly anticipating our move, I'm in search of creative window covering ideas and I absolutely love this one. Thanks so much! Erin

Kelly Ruby says: January 07, 2017 at 01:37 PM

Pretty sure there was never a girl that had a more picturesque childhood. My girls each got a Maggie Rabbit for Christmas this year. One mama made and another I bought mostly finished online. They never did get clothing as I cannot knit. My 6 year old was very happy that Mom had made it so THANK YOU!

Happy New Year! I love reading all your adventures and seeing your beautiful photos. Your blog is full of peace and love. I was wondering how you made the snowflake mobile.AriadnefromGreece!

Happy New Year to all of you, looks like you had a marvellous Christmas x

Mona Snowden says: January 08, 2017 at 08:21 AM

What are the pretty crocheted items you featured? Lovely! Happy New Year to you and all the family.
Mona

Ann Parker says: January 08, 2017 at 10:04 AM

I have so much enjoyed your writing and the scenes you give us of crafting and cooking and family- I often feel inspired by something you say or do, and I really want to thank you and wish you everything good for 2017. I think your doll's house has brought me out of the woodwork! You will have so much fun decorating it and finding tiny things to make. Sometimes the miniaturist things are too perfect, whilst slightly oversize patterns (such as wrapping paper) can make the house look more authentic. For all those people who would like a doll's house to play with - you don't need a daughter - just go ahead and find one! It needn't be new, and you can needlepoint rugs and hang up handbag mirrors and paint pictures and find treasures in unexpected places. My grandson, aged 9, loves my mother's doll's house and treats all the tiny things very carefully. He is playing with his great grandmother's house so take care, you might be creating an heirloom!
Have fun in 2017 xx

Your home gives off a scandinavien vibe. It always looks warm , cozy and oh so homey.

I saw that dolls house over at Artemis' blog too and fell in love. I always wanted to have a doll house! I bought a used one on eBay some years ago, but many pieces were missing and it was impossible to build it. Such a delusion.
Amelia is a doll. Of course she's got a dolls house!

I am so envious of these photos! Your home looks so precious, I have got a lot of great ideas for decorating from you. You also take amazing photos. I have recently started sewing clothing. I have made 2 dresses so far, for my best friend's daughter. When my bestie saw the dresses you have made for your daughter, she had said she wished she could sew pretty clothes for her little one. So for a surprise Christmas gift I made her two dresses. I got on eBay found some vintage patterns and started cutting into my beloved Liberty prints. And 2 and half months later we had two very cute dresses inspired by you! Thanks for sharing your life with us!

Oh Alicia. Your blog keeps me inspires as always! I see Amelia playing with that exquisite dollhouse and I think your real house looks like a dollhouse. I want to find time to scroll through your house and garden posts as we get ready to move into our new old farmhouse. I am always in love with the beauty in your home - the beauty of your relationships and the beauty of the things in it. Happy new year.

A happy, healthy and peaceful New Year for you and your family, too! And all the best wishes for your birthday! Thank you so much for sharing and being such an inspiration! I'm happy to read you and your loved ones had a wonderful Holiday season! With greetings from Finland! Eva

What a lovely holiday you had by the looks of things. I love the doll house, we bought one this year for my granddaughter. I would love to know about the miniature sewing machine, I would love to get that for my granddaughters dollhouse!

Alicia- I just discovered this series and thought you might enjoy it. I have the book on order and haven't read it yet but for some reason it reminded me of you!

Joan Lesmeister says: January 13, 2017 at 01:46 PM

Very beautiful, sweet, touching, wonderfully photographed and written....thank you for this......heart warmer! xo

patty in kansas says: January 13, 2017 at 02:50 PM

What a lovely, lovely blog...beautiful pictures of a very cozy home and your sweet family. Thank you for sharing with us! Have a blessed and healthy New Year.

I think I need more info on your crocheted bunting! Happy Birthday.

Happy belated birthday. As per, this was a beautiful post. Surrounded by family = nothing better :)

I adore your Christmas mantel and am wondering if you made those trees? I'm beginning to gather materials to make cone trees for my kitchen for next Christmas so I'd love to know more about the ones on your mantel...did you buy them or make them?