Spring Green Risotto

Risotto2

What a week. Complicated stuff. I am looking forward to the weekend more than I can say. I hope it goes better than this week did.

And if you find yourself inclined to make the Barefoot Contessa's Spring Green Risotto, which I highly recommend, and, because you are in a hurry (as usual), you go to your (unnamed) local corporate grocery store which happens to be around the corner from your house but which also drives you insane because every single solitary time you go there for something, say, ricotta cheese, or arugula, or asparagus, or, recently, arborio rice to make risotto, they do not have it, don't stomp around the store irritatedly and say (not even under your breath but right out loud) "Why do I come here!!!" in the rice aisle and act like a big huge baby about it, only to get home and find, when you rush upstairs to change into your comfy clothes before doing anything else, that the fly on your too-tight-to-begin-with cargo pants has been completely down as far as it can be and you've been flashing everyone your underpants (bright white), possibly for hours . . . well . . . just . . . don't do that. Unless you really need to have a good laugh at yourself, which I did. In which case, by all means, do it.

Thank goodness it's the weekend. If anyone needs me, I'll be on the hammock reading mysteries. That's it. IT.

Hoping all is better today. xoC

Poor thing, and even after all that you made Risotto! It looks really yummy though, especially with the cheese on top

You're awesome, A , and you make me laugh.

Cx

Barb in Edmonton says: July 10, 2009 at 09:42 AM

Ahhhhhhh, I'm laughing with (and cringing for) you! You poor thing.

there's always risotto... funny girl with the brighty whitey's. ;)

Amy in PDX says: July 10, 2009 at 09:56 AM

Oh, boy--I can totally relate. We live a few blocks from the "Un-Safeway" in NE, but I would rather go a mile to New Seasons (or Whole Foods) than shop there. Enjoy your weekend and some much needed hammock time!

You are just so awesome!

Thanks for always brightening my day - I'm definitely going to try making this tonight.

Oh, you funny girl!
I can so relate. The one and only time I have ever shopped at AJ's (a real fancy hoity-toity type grocery store) I got home and realized my collared, button-up shirt with a rather large tag flopping in the back, was INSIDE-OUT!!! I had gone to Kohl's to try on clothes... put my shirt back on... without my glasses on. Yeah... not a good thing.

Vicki K. says: July 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Fortunately, you hadn't just been to a meeting where you had to wear a name tag and forgot to take it off before you went into the Frustrating Grocery Store and said "Why do I come here?" and flashed your bright whites at everyone. Fortunately.

It's okay the other night I was sat on the number 73 bus with my bag on my lap. Somehow it rubbed all the buttons on my shirt open so when I stood up I was effectively standing in my bra. There was no time to do it up before alighting so I just had to stand there like that.

Oh and you're having the weekend I want but I'm in day 5 of a 9 day week and I'm filming all weekend. Mysteries in a hammock sounds delightful to me x

i just plain old adore you.
adore, i say!

happy hammocks to ya :)

Jessie Heninger says: July 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I thought things like that only happened to me!! yesterday I painted all the trim in my living room only to find it wasn't the right color, then assuming it was the wall color I went around and touched up all the dings only to find it wasn't that color either!! It was this ugly pee colored stuff left by the previous owners and now my living room has urine colored leprosy and ugly trim. I laughed at myself as well I'll fix it later.

You enjoy your hammock time - thanks for the laughs :o)

Buttercup says: July 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Two ideas, Alicia - ok, three:
1. Wear pink 'boy short' undies - they're comfortable and cuter than the whities - works for me
2. Shop Aldi's - in out and done...then you can shop the coop with all the $ you save for specialty items
3. Have mint drinks tonight - good for the spirit and relaxing and delicious
cheers!

One cold winter, my best friend was wearing a new heavy jacket for the first time, went to speak with a construction guy working on her new house and didn't realize that the fuzzy lining in the new jacket had, over time, pushed her Spandex shirt up over her bra. She took off her jacket and walked around pointing out the items in the house that needed changing and had no idea that her shirt was up under her arms with her bra there for all the world to see for some time before she realized it. She apologized to the construction guy, but I'm sure it provided him with a great story for the "Construction Guys Newsletter". Too funny.

Oh how I love these clothing stories...all very funny! My mom was a great fan of wrap around skirts. One day she drove home from her office, parked in our 2-car, tight-fitting garage, slid to the passenger door to get out, and was horrified to see she'd forgotten to put anything on but her slip that day. Well come to find out, the tie-strings had been shut in the driver's door and she'd unwrapped herself from her cute skirt. Life's funny like that.
Happy, happy...

Hoping you have a better weekend! We have all done things like at some point, so don't sweat it! Enjoy your reading time!

Chris Howard says: July 10, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I'm with you on the bad week thing. I got called in for Jury Duty. They only needed 6 people from the pool that day, and guess who got called in to listen to the case of The State of Georgia Vs. Dumbass Just Pay The Ticket? Needless to say, it was riveting.

Alicia, you're the best! This is, spot on, the sort of thing I do - including the huffing and puffing in the grocery store! - and not only do you have a sense of humour about yourself, but I love that you share so many of these moments with us.

to quote from Clover's stage debut, "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

have a lovely weekend!

Oh goodness, I'm crossing my fingers for a fantastic weekend to make up for that!

Lauren (in PA) says: July 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Love it! btdt

A new fashion statement! Possibly White is the new Black? Love the story, great that you can laugh at yourself.
Blessings,
Meagan

Ohhhhh ... I'm sorry you've had a difficult week Alicia. That risotto (which I wish I could reach my spoon into the screen for a bite of!) must most certainly be a curative and restorative. mmmmm does that ever look good!

You're so cute. One time I went out with my shirt on inside out, seams and tags everywhere for all to see - for an evening out on the Sunset Strip. I had been out for hours before I noticed. Moments like that are the very stuff of my life. :)

Hey! Have you ever read the old Albert Campion mysteries by Margery Allingham? Love those.

Melissa L. says: July 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Fashion malfunction + public stomping and complaining + sudden realization of personal ridiculousness = beer when you get home (x2).

too late... white, lower than i wish, rise shorts... lucky for me, white undies. Are we in too much of a hurry??? Ya think. Or that last minute to the powder room, before we leave the house because we have been drinking lemon water for days.
I have much better times to laugh at my self though. A good laugh, I mean GOOD laugh, makes it all worth it, a nice gift!:)

With Kindness,