After Dinner

AfterDinner1

Candle1

Night1

We're having an early summer, I think. Today it's raining, but the weekend was busy with outside things. The garden is almost entirely planted. My back yard container plants seem happier than ever. It's been neither too hot nor too cold; it's been just right. Friends visiting, late nights, food carts, pinball, bike ride, tomato planting, piano recital, fabric shopping, neighborhood potluck, eclispse watching. And something ate all of leaves off of about a third of my beet plants. It doesn't look like insect or slug; it looks like . . . something with teeth or beak? They went from one plant to the next plant, to the next plant in the row. Cafeteria style. Losers!

Today I'm trying to get organized. I've cut everything for the new quilt but the house is kind of trashed so I think I have some chores to do first. Getting kind of a slow start today. But it will be good to spend some time inside, I think. I've got some projects to show you.

I love to visit here in the mornings while it's still early enough to be really quiet....your photos make it seem like that quiet *could* just continue on in peaceful bliss. :-) I hope that same feeling of contentment is with you when you are taking them.

Kristi Shreenan says: May 22, 2012 at 04:53 AM

Andy. It's Andy eating the beet leaves. I expected him to have more patience than that. It's time to get out the video cam and do some spying, Alicia, next time he says he's "going downstairs for a midnight snack."

I think it was finches that ate your beet leaves! This spring I saw these cute little finches ALL OVER my beets and kale and thought they were so cute! Until I went outside and saw that they had indeed eaten the entire leaf of every plant~the sturdy middle part was still there, but I think that was how they hung on.
If not that, it would be slugs or snails~Looking forward to seeing some projects from you! I am always inspired by your work~

prairiecactus says: May 22, 2012 at 06:39 AM

We lost beet plants our first year of planting them...our elderly neighbor told us to cover them with netting until they were more mature...she said that the birds love new beet tops and will eat them up entirely if you do not protect them. We did not see any evidence of bugs on the plants when we checked, so maybe the birds were eating the bugs or beetles and damaging the plants in the process. The covering helped end the problem so maybe she was correct.

Donna Bell says: May 22, 2012 at 06:47 AM

Lovely photos!

I have a lot of doves, ibis, ducks and other misc. birds where I live. To keep them away from my garden I feed them cracked corn about 60 feet away from the raised beds. The birds are well fed so they stay away from my garden and everybody is happy!

Yak, buffalo, elk? Homemade mayo and ketchup? You make your own hamburger buns?
Good grief! You must not have a Hellmart on every corner ;)

P.S. Lucky you!

Patricia Walters says: May 22, 2012 at 05:55 PM

My husband makes our mayo and he said he could see how making it with a whisk could be very tiring. He makes it with a blender and it's a lot easier than with a whisk.

Lovely. Simply lovely. Thank you for sharing.

JoEllen says: May 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Love the picture of your kitty soaking in the candlelight! What a precious shot of utter concentration!

Love the picture of the kitter.

Loved the photo of the little kitty face in the glow of the light

Kathleen Marie says: May 23, 2012 at 09:48 AM

We have chicken wire around our little raised beds. We staple it to the sides. It worked wonderfully last year at keeping the bunnies away. I was worried about the birds and cris-crossed some twine over the top and that seemed to help keep them away. Chicken wire is a pain though and I wouldn't be able to install it without my fiance and a good pair of gloves, but it was free and what we had so we have used it now for two years. I'm with just about everyone else-I love your kitty photo and your pie looks beautiful!

Elizabeth Chassereau says: May 23, 2012 at 07:19 PM

I've been sad today because we had ten days of sunshine (a big deal for Seattle area), but now we're sogged with darkness and rain. Your website cheers me up, your family really knows how to make beautiful :) How come Andy has his feet on the coffee table??

Well, I see lots of suggestions as to what your plant eater could be. I'm not sure what mine is, but it's very considerate! Every spring my muscari bulbs bloom in pots on our deck, and just past their peak, someone mows them down in a perfectly even line.

Other than that, I only grow daffodils, because living on a Conservation Cooperative in the Santa Cruz Mountains of Northern California, we have deer (and plenty of other critters) who feast on just about every other plant you can name.

Lindsey says: May 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I love love LOVE your garden. I bookmarked this post to pull it up in the spring. We just moved here (we're military) and put in a small vegetable (and strawberry!) garden in the front yard, but the layout you have in the first picture would be perfect for the side of the house and I think I might do that in the spring. It's just gorgeous, I love your house.

Patty Soriano says: June 06, 2012 at 04:44 PM

Just found you through Michael at Inspired by charm. My God...where do you live !? It's absolutely beautiful. The storm you described sounds like heaven. I live in the heart of Texas where drought continues. Love the photo which includes the kitty in candlelight. Would make such a lovely enlargement closeup. Will become a follower if I'm able. Love your photos !

Patty