Cocoa Custard

12Sweater1

12Dinner1

12Choco5

12Choco6

12Choco7

12Choco8

My sister Susie (the pastry chef) gave me some of her ice-cream recipes (including brown butter ice cream, butterscotch ice cream, and Bangkok peanut ice cream [which has cream cheese, peanut butter, coconut milk, honey, fresh ginger, and cayenne pepper in it, holy egads, that's next]). I took her chocolate recipe and added it to my custard recipe and oh, my, cocoastars it was crazy good. Try this, try this:

Brown Sugar–Chocolate Frozen Custard

1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 vanilla bean
4 oz. milk chocolate chips (I used Guittard, because that's what they had at my store)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Cocoa Barry, which my sister insisted I must buy)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
7 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

With a sharp paring knife, slit the vanilla bean lengthwise down the center and scrape the seeds into a medium saucepan. Add the bean pod itself and the half-and-half to the pan and warm over low-medium heat until it just barely simmers.

Place the chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk the cocoa powder into the hot half-and-half until it is dissolved. Pour the half-and-half over the chocolate chips and let it sit for a bit until the chips are melted. Stir the now-chocolatey half-and-half until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Whisk egg yolks, sugar, and salt by hand or using a stand mixer (I used the mixer). Slowly pour a very thin stream of the chocolatey half-and-half into the eggs while continuing to whisk; this will temper the eggs and keep them from scrambling. Continue to pour the half-and-half in a thin stream until half of it has been incorporated. Transfer the mixture back into the pot with the rest of the chocolatey half-and-half. Heat on low-medium (do not overheat here, or you will still scramble the eggs) while whisking continuously until the custard is thick and smooth, like pudding. Remove the vanilla bean.

Prepare an ice bath: Fill a 9"x13" baking pan halfway with ice cubes. Find a smaller pan or a bowl that will fit inside of the 9"x13" baking pan. Place the smaller pan or bowl in the larger baking pan and nestle it into the ice so it doesn't fall over. Gradually add the heavy cream to the custard in the saucepan and whisk the mixture until it is smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the smaller pan or bowl that is in the ice pan. Let it sit there (you can stir it occasionally) until it is cold. (I do it this way because I don't have that much room in my fridge and I don't want to heat up my refrigerator trying to cool this stuff off.) It will take a couple of hours for it to get cold (and this is about how long it takes us to walk around the block these days, stopping to sit down frequently). Following the instructions for your ice cream maker, spin this into delicious frozen custard. Give a little bit to your baby and discover that she suddenly is a pro with a spoon.

Amelia's birthfamily are serious chocolate and coffee connoisseurs! She has definitely inherited the chocolate-love gene. I've never seen her eat anything with such focus, and so fast, ever. I gave her about a tablespoon of this (and seriously, it is so rich adults hardly need much more) and the girl about lost her bananas when her little dish was empty.

I got some cute little paper cups and lids at the Cash & Carry. Now to find some cute labels so I can give ice cream to my friends so I don't get any fatter.

***Mimi's dress (it's a one-piece, with the knitted vest sewn in) is from JujuBunnyshop, but I don't see it listed anymore. Cutest clothes there, though.

Best dressed little girl in the world.

That's it, you gone and done it again, now I have to make this one too. Mimi is now becoming my taste barometer, if she devours it then sign me up LOLOLOL

Oh that does sound delicious - and Amelia is devouring it with gusto - sensible girl!!

Aw! Boots and a dress! So cute!
She's so blessed to have a knitting mama. And a cooking mama.

Can you make the custard without an ice cream maker. It sounds so good.

Suzannah says: June 14, 2014 at 09:17 PM

I do LOVE reading your blog. A new post always makes for a happy day. Amelia's hair. Ah, it makes me want to cry, it's so beautiful. My own little poppet has next to none, so I am dead jealous!
Where is her dress from? SO GORGEOUS!!

So precious, your little one! I enjoy seeing her pictures so much. She is clearly so very loved!

After all these posts about ice cream I picked up an ice cream maker for $5 while yard-sailing yesterday! Can't wait to try your sister's recipe.

I don't know why I asked you what type of ice cream maker you had because my doctor said for me to quit the "dairy" as my cholesterol was creeping upward....fast and I know it was the ice cream! LOL!
I adore ice cream and your recipes and pictures are killing me! But my grandson is coming here for his birthday so I will be making some for that but then that's all! LOL! At my age all that ice cream I ate in my youth has suddenly caught up with me! What a joy it is though....one of the greatest pleasures on the face of the planet!

Lacy Province says: June 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Do tell what is that pretty rose colored yarn destined to be?

Little one's dress is so sweet. Perfect for the cool days we've been having here in Portland.

Wish I could fall asleep like a child does - fully and completely without a care.

Chocolate - food of the God's (smile).

Uh oh, someone's been bitten by the ice cream-making bug. Please, please, PLEASE share that Bangkok peanut recipe. We make ice cream on a regular basis (my dream is to have a little homemade ice cream push cart business someday) and that one is definitely missing from our recipe collection. Also, check out the Whynter ice cream maker if you're really into making consecutive batches of frozen custard. Worth every penny.

Love the sound of this recipe. I don't think we have frozen custard in England and it sounds deeelicious. Could you tell me more about the quilt in the top photo please? The one with the black bits sewn in. I have no idea what they are/do but they look cute and I am interested. Thanks for the recipe. X

Now that sounds delicious. And what an adorable little dress on that sweet one.

God blessed you two with the perfect girl..my heart goes 'leap' every time I see her face, her hair, her study legs, I could go on and on.

Laura Barnes says: June 15, 2014 at 05:36 PM

Your little Mimi has such a personality. She is so precious. Love your blog.

Did someone say "Ice Cream"? Did someone say "Chocolate"? You've got my FULL attention!! Holy smokes with all that luscious cream and egg yolks and chocolate how could you go wrong. Custard is an all time summer (and occasionally winter) pleasure in our home.

"Yummy" is right! This is going in my recipe book...although, I may have to add a tad dark chocolate.

Amelia, you're mine kind of girl!!!

Bangkok peanut - is that a Jeni's recipe? If so, I've made it and it is fabuloso and you are in for a treat! But my favorite Jeni's flavor (and I have made a lot!) is black coffee. soooooooo perfect.

What is your sweet girl wearing? A knitted vest over a dress? It's absolutely adorable. I love how you dress her.

That looks and sounds yummy! Also, I love Amelia's dress! Is that one that you made or bought somewhere? So pretty! She always looks so beautiful!

JoDell Ricker says: June 15, 2014 at 09:32 PM

Your sweet baby is growing up to be a beautiful little girl, I just love seeing the pictures of her and knowing what a blessing she is, thanks for sharing JoDell

It looks so good! I do have to try it. I’m in love with your pictures. ;)

Goodness gracious me... I am now in desperate need of an ice cream maker.

Did you make her dress? If so, you should sell clothes on your site or on Etsy. So cute! I would buy :)
We're expecting our first baby girl any day now & I'm really wanting to learn how to sew so that I can make adorable dresses like these. You should upload a tutorial maybe :)

krystina says: June 16, 2014 at 07:17 AM

No fair, you didn't tell us about the knitting? Both what's on the needles and the vest (dress?) on Amelia. She is always dressed SO beautifully, you have such an eye for dressing her!

Kimberly says: June 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM

As always, just lovely. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Jennifer says: June 17, 2014 at 04:42 PM

The photo of your little one striding along in her beautiful red dress looks JUST LIKE an Eloise Wilkin illustration. Seriously, she's a storybook child come to life.