Happy New Year!

29Dollhouse1

Oh, the messy, bright blur and wonder of all of these days! For goodness sake. Where does the time go? I would've written sooner but I was too busy making a dollhouse floor out of Popsicle sticks and looking at every miniatures web site ever constructed for the perfect diminutive wallpaper. I certainly am enjoying Amelia's Christmas present! And everything else about the holidays. It's been a glorious few weeks. Christmas with a four-year-old is the absolute best.

Today the winter sun is shining ever so brightly, and it's so windy that my office is flashing with light. It's freezing cold. It's Amelia's first day back at preschool in three weeks. Ahem. Mummy is a bit  e x h a u s t e d. The holidays, no matter how "simple" you try to make them, wind up being crazy busy. At least for us. Yesterday I got to spend the day by myself, and that was the first day that I haven't spent pretty much all day (and night — she keeps waking up) with Amelia in the past weeks. I went out to lunch at the brewpub all by myself, and they gave me such an awesome table, right in front of the roaring fire. I ate fish tacos and read my book and texted my friends. Then I went to the bookstore for a few hours and then I went to JoAnn Fabrics. At JoAnn's, which was pretty much empty, I wandered aimlessly and thought about things like should I buy these seven little silver cones (apparently jewelry-making findings) for $3.49 or should I use an old toothpaste cap for a tiny pendant-light-fixture (made out of a drawer pull) escutcheon??? I think about things like this now, when I have time to think of things. It was quite wonderful to wander aimlessly. I even looked at a magazine. Yes. It was a really nice way to finish the "vacation."

I wish you all a very happy new year and hope that you had a wonderful holiday season! It's my birthday in a few days and I want to make something good for dinner but I don't know what. Any ideas?

***The raspberry thumbprint recipe can be found here; the dress pattern I made for Amelia is Simplicity #9297 from 1979, and the fabric is from the wonderful Pioneer Quilts; the dollhouse I got used on Craigslist (but the same one is here) and I was totally inspired to get it because of Artemis's darling version — seriously, is that not the cutest ever; and I made Meyer lemon pudding with some gorgeous lemons my dear friend Sarah gave me for Christmas the recipe is here. I honestly don't think you need to add the butter, and a little zest could easily replace half the lemon juice.

I was wondering what fabrics you used for the darling garland in the 3rd picture. Love all the magical photos of your Christmas!

Where in the world did you find that adorable little sewing machine in Amelia's dollhouse?

Your holidays certainly look wonderful!
Glad you had a few hours to wander about by yourself. That feels so good, doesn't it.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy 2017.

lovely. i chuckled at the photo of all of the phones taking photos of the sweets. so us isnt it? gone are the days of taking out the camera.

been howling cold here with icy wind. bunny is in a cat carrier in the diningroom and outside kitties are enjoying domestication by the fire.

Danielle G says: January 04, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Oysters are in season and you can get 5 dozen for $22 in Southeast.

I so enjoyed your photos of the fun and blur that is the holidays.. it was neat to see your nephew laughing so heartily. I loved the image of the little animal using a sewing machine in your.. er Mimi's dollhouse. :-) She is just a darling girl. You day out sounds like the perfect thing for a busy mom like you.

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to you my friend!!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

The lights are not on, but the sewing machine is running in your little house! Sounds about right… ;). Also, the cookie swap photo kills me. So accurate. Ours was hilariously over-instagrammed (new term) as well. I cook nothing you would want to eat, but Happy Birthday and Happy 2017!

Happy New Year! I love seeing all these gorgeous photos. If you are really into miniature you should check out @chiisanashiawase2015 on IG.

I can't believe how long it's been since I looked at your blog! Time does fly. I remember Amelia was only a few months old and now she's four! And simply beautiful. I know your life with her must be wonderful, so happy for y'all. I have eight grands under nine and they have brought so much joy to my life. Children and love truly make the holidays special. Happy New Year!

happy birthday soon! enjoy every minute! your site if my favorite. for birthday dinner, i recommend the Barefoot Contessa's baked shrimp scampi. it is divine. or, scallops seared in butter and olive oil. all the best to you!!

oh the bird pictures sequence, the abelskivers!, that picture of Amelia in her white knitted or crocheted ensemble {swoon}, and the golden glowing trees on the wrapping paper...what a wonderful little gift those images are! so so so thankful for that incredibly sacrificial couple who made Amelia your daughter.

here's my rec for your bday meal: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/10/classic-slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast.html

happy 2017!

Risotto, of course!

Mary K. in Rockport says: January 05, 2017 at 05:51 AM

Popsicle stick floors, why didn't I think of that? But they have sheets of wooden flooring at doll house supply places, and that is what I used. A doll house is so much fun -- you can add to it bit by bit. My daughter enjoyed making teeny foods out of Fimo. My architectural triumph was making circular stained glass windows out of those round depressions on the sides of plastic milk jugs, framed by wooden curtain hangers -- our doll house is Victorian, you see!

Claudia Martins says: January 05, 2017 at 09:42 AM

Happy 2017!

Amy Watson says: January 05, 2017 at 11:15 AM

What a lovely holiday! I thought I'd share the recipe for the æbelskivers the Danish camp sells at Scan Fair. It's my favorite!

There's a link to download at the bottom of the page. My friend who volunteers there told me to use butter -not- margarine. Ick. I use cooking spray instead of mass quantities of oil.

I went to Penzey's out in Clackamas to buy fresh cardamom and the Michaels right there has a whole new section of miniatures that are darling. They'd be perfect for the new dollhouse! Happy decorating!

Marguerite says: January 05, 2017 at 04:14 PM

I loved seeing your warm holiday photos. Such delight! I'm a late December birthday girl, so having just put on Christmas, I always get taken out for my birthday dinner (well, I mean, the whole darn city is decorated up so nice for me!!) But... if you were in the mood for lamb (because it smells so good and the leftovers....shepherd's pie with parmesan topping, lamb hash (add a little bacon and onion to the potatoes and lamb). We do this for Christmas Day -- French recipe. Stud the tied boneless leg of lamb with anchovies and garlic (can of anchovies in oil cut each filet in 4 pieces, match with slivers of fresh garlic). Rub all over with olive oil, dry rosemary and thyme, S&P. Let stand for a few hours. Roast hot 425 for 20 minutes to sear, then down to 350 for 45 minutes (ppffff, mine always takes much longer) to desired inner temp (I shoot for 147). Warmest birthday wishes. ;o)

lauradodson says: January 05, 2017 at 08:20 PM

well. now i need a dollhouse. i'm 47. i have no daughters. NO DAUGHTERS. and i need a dollhouse. all for me. and for future granddaughters that at least one of our 5 sons better damn well give me.

Wonderful, as usual. Amelia in that aran set! I have a four year old daughter and she smiles for photos the way I see Amelia smiling up there: like she's figured out what she's supposed to do- pose. It is so cute. I love this age, but this particular 4 year old (she's my 4th child) really never stops talking so she can wear me out at times.

Kirsten Spear says: January 06, 2017 at 07:25 AM

Hello! If you're ever in the Kansas City, MO area, you should check out the amazing Toy and Miniature museum. I just took my girls, we went gaga over all the amazing dollhouses! This is their link: http://toyandminiaturemuseum.org/

Happy New year!
Kirsten

Luanne Graham says: January 06, 2017 at 07:57 AM

Alicia, your blog and photographs are balm for my soul. I hope you and your lovely family have a wonderful new year. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Happy new year! I love Amelia's little tree and how into the dollhouse she seems to be. We are all about the wooden trains right now, which is a-okay by me.

Lovely! Happy New Year to you as well. You are a wonderful inspiration for home-making. Love to all of you!

If I could be four again your home would be my favorite place to visit. It is such a joy to see all the hand made treasures you make for your family. Thank you for sharing your sweet family with us. Here is a recipe for an absolutely melt in your mouth cake that we love from Pioneer Woman. Happy Birthday!

Oops I believe the recipe above is not quite right. I'm sorry I can't seem to find the exact one. I think there is a typo with the confectioners sugar in the cake part.