Rain and Roses

16Sweater1

16Sweater1

16Yard4

11Yard2

16Rug1

16Yard4

I'm fighting a horrideous cold that laid me out flat yesterday. I didn't even feel like walking across the room. Blah. I'm feeling a lot better today, but I don't know how. Well, I did go to be at 8:00 p.m. yesterday and slept until 6 this morning. Ten hours of sleep. That seems to have helped. Took a shower and put on my coziest clothes and trundled Amelia into the car for the school run. We're listening to Mystery Ranch, the fourth book from The Boxcar Children on audio. I loved The Boxcar Children when I was a kid. I'm amazed she is into these. They're kind of grown up, really. The themes, I mean. Estrangements, various sadnesses, stolen money, hermits, bedridden and bitchy old aunts. She listens, rapt. I don't actually remember a thing about the books (other than that I loved them) so I'm enjoying them, too. Audiobooks and spending time with her are the only things I'll miss about this commute.

We had a truly lovely Mother's Day weekend here. All I wanted was to stay home on Sunday and hang out, so that's what we did. I feel like we hadn't done that in ages, somehow, at least not just the three of us. We've had people over or been other places a lot lately. We worked on my office, which was really fun. Mimi helped by making a list of stuff I needed for my office. I've done a ton of reorganization, took a few boxes of craft stuff to Goodwill, took a few boxes to the basement, and basically have a place for everything and everything is in its place. I love this. What I don't love is the color I chose. Wah. I don't know. I have one more valance coming for my sliding doors and once that's up I may decide to repaint, which seems completely insane. I don't know. Andy wanted to repaint it right away, but I said let's put everything back together and see if I can live with it. I kinda think I should live with it, because it's such a pain to paint, and we've now put up a bunch of wall shelves which would have to come down again if we repainted. Andy is such a good sport about stuff like this, a much better sport than I am and it's all of my doing and choosing to start with, so I'll never understand that, but he is an absolute angel about me and my ideas. I love him. The paint color is reading as a very pale yellow, and I don't even like yellow. I wish it'd had more gray in it, to go, at least, with the rest of the house. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll go with some kind of pink, like Setting Plaster. Or Peignoir. I don't know. I'm getting confused about what I originally wanted. You can see a peek of the Vanilla Ice Cream in that photo with the gray gingham curtains. That's my studio. Hrmmm. To be determined.

"The earth is a better place for me because I love you and I think that is a great idea. I love you I love you." Heart explodes in a shower of Level 1 early readers. Oh my stars, child. I love you, too.

Currently working on an enormous new cross stitch design, which will be a birth announcement (if that's what you call those things that say a baby's name, birth date, and weight and length) inspired by nursery rhymes. I drew it a few weeks ago and have just started stitching it. It will fit into a ready-made 16" x 20" frame. But I really love it! The baby info will go in that middle space. . . .

Nursery RhymesBlog

Also, we have extra Blackberries and Heather-bells kits that we have put in the shop. And the PDF for Blackberries and Heather-bells is available here; and the PDF pattern for Misselthwaite Mitts is now available here. We may still have extra apothecary stuff but I am still a bit hesitant to put it out there yet, until I am sure everyone who ordered is happy. Probably next week.

ellen patton says: May 16, 2019 at 01:09 PM

Can Amelia write my to-do lists? Please!

Setting Plaster has a definite yellow tone to it, so you'll probably want to go with Peignoir.

I think the paint is beautiful with your curtains Alicia. That’s a beautiful cross stitch design and your sweater colors are so pretty. Amelia seems to grow with every post. So sweet:)

Melanie says: May 16, 2019 at 05:03 PM

Thank-you, Alicia! I was waiting for you beautiful embroidery pattern and just ordered it. It's so sweet for spring and sets me in the book once again. I had the opportunity to chat with a few European robins when we lived in Scotland and it's fun to remember. And I just love following your patterns. I hope you are feeling better.

I would say repaint it. I agree with your husband. That's a place you will spend a lot of time, it's where the creative juices work and you must feel delighted with the surroundings. It will bring you happiness to have it how you like.

I loved the Boxcar children when I was a kid! I love to do audiobooks in the car with my 6 year old boy. His school is a minimum of 40 minutes away, but today it took me 60 because it’s raining in Seattle and no one knows how to drive in the rain :/
I love the pic of the studio, the yellow looks great! I say that and I have yellow in our new house and I want to paint over it with white or grey. I do not like yellow for my walls!!

elizabeth hartnett says: May 16, 2019 at 05:34 PM

i love the new color of your studio. but if you don't ... i say paint it. I love the Peignoir !! Very you. I am going to give you the name of another color suggestion. I used it in my home and love it! It is a Benjamin Moore paint,called Grey Owl,its almost a non color (I know that makes no sense,but is beautiful.) I cant wait to see you big reveal!!

I think the paint is beautiful in the photo but pics never really capture the nuance of shifting light. As an artist you should trust your eye and instinct, repaint if it’s going to make you happy in your studio. Can’t wait to order the birth announcement kit. We’re welcoming our first nephew next month!

I like Setting Plaster.. but I also like the way it looks now. I so enjoy when I see you've posted. Mimi is growing into such a lovely young lady. I feel blessed to have become your blog friend before she arrived and so I can see you treasure her from her arrival. We are going through a difficult time, Dayle had surgery for a lump on his thyroid on Tuesday and the surgeon was shocked at how big it was and we're awaiting the results of the biopsy. I'm devastated. :-(

That note from your little one is a treasure beyond belief. <3 Wonderful.

Kelli S says: May 16, 2019 at 10:20 PM

It's totally the light. We have a very similar shade (mascarpone by Benjamin Moore) and in certain lights it is very yellow, other places, very white. That's too bad you don't like (I get it) because repainting is such a PAIN. Ugh. Pink. I always love a good pink :) maybe test a few in the space to see the undertone? I had a place once and I chose a very grey based pale blue. I kept going back and having black added till the paint was charcoal colour and STILL it looked baby blue on my walls. Ah the joys of paint! Hope you are feeling better soonest :)

Kelli S says: May 16, 2019 at 10:22 PM

I just realized that Setting \plaster has yellow in it! I would avoid that and go for the Peignoir!

Lynn Marie says: May 17, 2019 at 05:03 AM

Paint colors can be so fickle! I agree with the other comments about making sure you love it because it is YOUR space. You want the whole vibe to inspire you when you walk in. I think the new cross-stitch pattern is wonderful.

Oh, those love notes from Mimi totally melted my heart! As for paint, if you'd like a very subtle but somehow magical pink, I highly recommend White Lilac by Sherwin Williams. We painted our daughter's room that color over 10 years ago and it just doesn't get old or boring. It changes beautifully as the light in the room changes--sometimes it's the softest, whitest pink, other times it's the softest grey-purple. I marvel at it. Here it is: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6833-white-lilac#/6833/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

Ahhh the paint quandry. I think the color is pretty. BUT that is immaterial. I once painted our diningroom orange. I thought it would be a fun Cuban-esque feel. It looked like the inside of a cheap Halloween pumpkin. Even the cats avoided it. Repaint. It will be worth it.

I like the yellow. But then I like yellow particularly soft buttery ones. I also love pink and I quite like grey but not too grey pink, so I prefer plaster pink.

What your little girl wrote to you is awesome; both that she had the sentiment to write it and the wonderful emergent writing skills she has. She is obviously a confident writer. Words to be treasured and to be proud of.

I love your new cross stitch design but I can't cope with the charts (eyes) and always found it difficult. The design is very charming though. I can do free style embroidery however, and both the mittens and little robin embroidery will be future projects. I expect I will find the charts a little tricky for the knitting but they are less complex. I am obsessed with hand warmers and will love to have this pair.

I would try living with the color for a few days to see if you change your mind. But really, what are you out to repaint it to something you really love...$50 bucks in paint and a couple days work?? It may be worth it to create a space you love.
This winter I repainted all of the public spaces of our home. When I painted our family room, I wanted something to make it cozy but not too dark. I painted it and then did NOT like it at all. I lived with it for a couple days and then repainted it. And again, I absolutely did not like the color. For the third round, I asked the folks at my local Millar Paint store for suggestions. After a discussion of the color feel I was going for and the type of lighting the room receives, they were able to help me pick out the very best color for that room.

Oh my goodness, I love the notes from Mimi! Be sure to save them somewhere so you can read them again and again. The spelling is wonderful, you can see that mind working! My daughter used to write me notes that I'm sure I saved but I just don't know where. For a while she addressed me as Mother Nature. I think I'll go hunt for those gems.

As for the paint, I agree with everyone else, be happy with the color as you spend a lot of time in that room. My sewing room has been a cheery pale blue for eight years, I might be ready for a change. Now you've got me thinking about pink, you and Susan Branch. She recently painted her dining room pink.

The new cross-stitch pattern is lovely but thank goodness I don't need a birth sort of project. I'm still on Winter with the other three seasons patiently waiting for my attention!

Thank you for post!

Alicia - another vote for Grey Owl by BM - it is a very soft grey that changes in the light. We have two rooms in this color and about to paint a third. Two rooms are southern exposure and one is northwest - looks beautiful in both.

I think the paint looks fine, but I can see what you mean about the yellowy tones, yellow and grey would not be my favourite combination either :-/ It's a pain to repaint, but on the other hand, your last colour was up for a long time, so 2-3 days of repainting heartache (and neck, and arm ache!) might, on balance, be worth it. My husband once painted (3 coats worth!) a room, in what I thought was a pretty pale green when I chose it, but when it was finished it glowed a neon artificial cartoon type pale green, I hated it :-) but like your chap, my husband was very good about it and painted it over for me! (in a very pale violet-toned, early-morning-sky blue, I got that right!) I think the Setting Plaster also looks a little yellowy but the peignoir looks lovely. Maybe take your gingham curtain with you if you haven't already, when you choose samples/paint to see what will tone with the grey and white/ivory of your curtain fabric? Also your cross stitch sampler is adorable, as are the notes from Amelia! x

Ok so here's my two cents. When we moved into our home, one of the upstairs bedrooms had been painted a very pronounced yellow color. Not yellow in a good way. But my husband and I are very lazy about this sort of thing, and we left it. It's been 12 years ha ha. Now we call it the Yellow Room, and I've paired it with all grey funishings - grey desk, grey curtains, grey and white bedding. I LOVE IT. I mean, yes, I'd paint over it if a fairy came and did it for free lol, but honestly it's such a bright spot in the darkest PNW weather months! I think your color looks subtle and lovely. But if you decide to change, I'd go with the Peignoir. But then I love every color from F&B. I've actually been looking for a color for our master bedroom. I wanted a greyish lavender. But now I have to look hard at this Peignoir color.......Oh! I'm SUPER HAPPY with my apothecary box!! It's beyond wonderful.

Colleen says: May 17, 2019 at 10:36 AM

I am such a fan of the handwriting! She is doing so great! What is the list for, it sounds like something fabulous.

Christine says: May 17, 2019 at 01:15 PM

I'm so happy that I just purchased the embroidery kit. We are on a tight budget this year so I couldn't sign up for the whole Secret Garden package but I am so happy that I'll get part of it. I can't wait to see more of your office.

Jennifer O. says: May 17, 2019 at 01:17 PM

This might be a weird suggestion, but could you change your light bulbs? I think sometimes they make walls look yellower than they really are.

Stephanie says: May 17, 2019 at 02:17 PM

You make everything look lovely! It might be that cold you have that makes you not want to repaint! I love your curtains!! Where did you lorded those from??