Party Time!

5PArtyIpad2

5PartyIpad4

5Party2

5Party5

5PartyIpad1

5Party6

The party was just awesome. I want to do it over again and have it be exactly the same. The kids were all so excited and so sweet and so giggly and had so much fun. Amelia was in her element, surrounded by friends and chaos and games and toys and fun. She likes to be right in the middle of things, the nuttier and more bonkers-crazy the better. When she slumped down in her sheepskin-lined chair to eat her cupcake with her hat on crooked and her eyes shining I almost burst into tears. She looked so content and comfortable and filled with joy. Actually, it does make me cry. Seven is such a magical age. They are made happy by pom-poms, ping-pong balls, and candy. They TP-ed the yard right away (the game of "mummy" went "wrong," but it was the best thing that could've happened, because they had a blast and got a lot of energy out before they came in) and played Bozo's Buckets and Pin the Tail (where Amelia brought the party to a screeching halt when she went first β€” blindfolded, she was spun around three times and walked straight to the donkey with her tail held out in front of her and pinned it perfectly into the place β€” everyone literally went silent, including Andy and me, looking at each other with sheepish expressions . . . ermmmmmm . . . Ha! Well, let's keep playing anyway everybody!!!). I had noted on the invitation that presents were not necessary but every single kid brought a little present, so that shows you what I know. They all sat around her in a circle while she opened them and it was actually very, very sweet. Some kids were definitely quite shy at the beginning, but all of the parents eventually slipped out and the quieter kids got quickly taken into the lively fold. They sat at the table and decorated cupcakes and ate fruit skewers and veggie sticks about halfway through, and it was so adorable to hear them all talking and giggling and being silly and making each other laugh at the table. Almost all of them are in the same class at school. They ended with the pinata, which wasn't mine or Andy's favorite but Amelia said it was her favorite. Anyway, it was just super fun and I thank you so much for all of your advice and suggestions. Andy and I both read them all and we got some really great ideas about what to be prepared for and we all had an awesome day.

Now we get ready for the family party, which is this weekend. Andy's parents arrive from Chicago on Friday and will stay until next week. Amelia's birthfamily is all coming, and her grandparents will come up from Eugene. I've left all of the decorations up and will be doing just some little appetizers, and a strawberry cake has been requested. She also wants roast chicken and mashed potatoes for her birthday dinner. I don't know why but I burst out laughing when she said that. God I love this kid so much.

The weather has been so wonderful. Lots of sunshine, storms, and the leaves are turning bright red and yellow. By the way, I forgot to tell you what that one picture was with the white dots! There were a lot of good guesses, but I don't think anyone actually guessed exactly what it was. It was a picture I took straight on (not through a screen or a window or anything) of a pouring rainstorm in BRIGHT sunlight. It was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. The rain was coming down in sheets, but there was a hole in the clouds right where the sun was coming through and literally every raindrop was shining with light. The camera captured the raindrops as white blobs. In real life it was a glitterstorm.

Finishing her birthday dress today. We've got almost all of the supplies in for the Dovegray Dolls (except for the muslin . . . need to check on that) and as soon as birthdaying is finished, it's full-steam ahead with that stuff!

Thank you for always sharing the fun parties you do for Amelia. Looks like everyone had a blast! That pic of Andy and Amelia on the corner threw me though. Without blowing it up, it looks like he had a big wig on or something. lol Curious about the rolls in colored liquid. I tried to see a close up of the garlands. Does it just dye the edges? How do you get it to dry and not stick together?

I want a birthday party!
That is not a dignified declaration, but it is sincere, and I can't help but share my very first impression on seeing the start of this post. It just all looks so lovely and rollicking and natural... boisterous around the edges, thoughtfully planned, yet switching up. It looks like giggles and sprinkles, and love. I even suspect that the sky cooperated, and whether grey, or blue and pink, it coordinated thoughtfully with your theme and decor. All of which illustrates that you are at home, in your city, on your street, with your community, and with your own family... and that is a gift that is a treat to see.

Kristen from MA says: October 08, 2019 at 11:14 AM

I still can't believe that your little baby is 7!!

That last pic - right in the feels. :)

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* dear darling Amelia! I loved each image of the preparation for the kid party and all the fun that they had. You're wonderful parents, Alicia and Andy! You're a triple AAA family. Have fun this weekend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

oh such lovely pictures!!! I am so glad! I hope the second party is really warm in kindness and peaceful!

These pictures make me so happy. You guys are doing parenthood so well - what a wonderful childhood your daughter has. I am so happy for all of you. It's a beautiful thing to see, thanks for sharing it with us! xoxo

Mary Ann in Vermont says: October 09, 2019 at 04:20 AM

I couldn't wait to see and hear all about the goodness of Amelia's party! So beyond happy it was so amazing. Happy brand new year to Amelia! xo

Mary Ann in Vermont Again!! says: October 09, 2019 at 04:24 AM

I almost forgot to thank you for telling us about the white-dot-photo! Incredible!
Please, give us a little tutorial on how you dyed the streamers, when you can. πŸ’•

Lynn Marie says: October 09, 2019 at 04:52 AM

The last photo of Amelia and Andy is soo soo good! I loved all the party pics--my grandson celebrated his 7th birthday this past weekend as well and it certainly is a fun age. I love her birthday dinner request of roast chicken and mashed potatoes. It sounds marvelous and now I must have some as well. ☺

Thank you for sharing this! I look forward to seeing her party every year!...Such a full heart from a proud set of parents!!!...The emotions of parenting do run the gamut...and it can be quite exhausting...but in those moments...it is SO WORTH IT!!!

Patti Dougherty says: October 09, 2019 at 05:18 AM

How can she be 7 already!? What I would give to go back to those years with my grown children. They grow up far too quickly. Love all the pictures, especially the ones of Andy and Amelia. Thank you for sharing. It’s always nice to see your emails in my inbox.

Everything is perfectly lovely as usual! Do you have a source for the beads used in the bracelets? My daughter makes these bracelets for her friends. Love all the color and variety in yours!

The party sounds so perfect. Everything a mum could hope for. I experienced a rainstorm like that in Hillsboro 6 years ago - it looked as though diamonds were falling from the sky. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Oh, your parties are always lovely and I can't believe Amelia is now 7 years old. She looks like she had so much fun!!! Love her special sheepskin chair! What a great idea to have them throw t-p around & get out energy. Never thought about dying crepe paper or the t-p in the colors to match your party. What a creative idea! I'm sure it was a magical day full of fun memories for Amelia, her friends and you and Andy. Enjoy the continued celebration with family!!!

Carolyn Dietrich says: October 09, 2019 at 10:13 AM

That was such a lovely birthday party. I can see that Amelia loved every minute of it. I loved the happiness that shone out of her eyes in the photo of her in the sheep-skin covered chair but my very favorite was of her hugging her daddy. It touched my heart. Thank you sharing. It's a joy to see her grow and how happy the three of you are. God bless!

So happy the birthday party was a smashing success.
You see, no need to have been worried. Amelia's face in each photo says it all ~ "well done Mama & Papa, well done"!!!

And that last photo, just made my heart grow bigger. The love you all have for each other overwhelming shows in that photo.

I loved your calico bunting !! Nice you find more things to use those sweet fabrics for. And I still love my calicozy quilt, which has been brought out with the cooler weather we're having (even snow here in MT).
I also made your microwave cinnamon applesauce recipe again this weekend. The one where you only need four apples. Fun and tasty fall treat for sure! Thanks again for that one.

I love the photo with all of the kids at the table. Very reminiscent of my childhood parties. <3 And, I'm with Amelia on her dinner choice for her family birthday dinner! I always wanted a Thanksgiving meal for mine in May!

πŸ’—

I can't believe she is "7"..... I have followed since before she was born, where does the time go. I love that you share her birthday festivities with all of us, very exciting. Happy Autumn to the entire household.

Katherine A Patterson says: October 10, 2019 at 10:31 AM

I've seen a glitter-storm! Thought I was the only one to have seen such a thing. I'm sad because I can't find your picture.

I look forward to this party every. single. year. I love it. That last photo is everything. Happy Birthday!! (to all of you, really!)

How wonderful to be 7! It looks like it was a fun party for kids and Mom & Dad. I love the bracelets and bunting decorations. I always feel such joy watching your family in your photos.

7! I can't believe it!
I remember shedding tears of sadness reading your blog before Amelia and tears of joy when she came into your life.
Watching her grow, I feel like I know her, happy birthday beautiful girl.

It sounds like it all went off perfectly! Was the pinata virtually impossible to destroy? i remember we had one for our daughter's 5th birthday and no one could break it!! A glitterstorm, wow i'd love to see that!