Keeping On

25Day

25Pretzels

25Mimi

Hello, hello! I truly hope you are all healthy and well and staying safe. I am thinking of you and wishing you all every good thing right now, wherever you are and whatever your circumstances. These are hard days.

Here we are, keeping-on keeping on. Mimi is doing what Mimi does best β€” that is, whatever she wants at (almost) all times. For the record, I have zero problem with this. She jumps on her mini-trampoline, writes a letter to one of her friends about her trampoline, does some math problems on the computer, and reads quietly to herself every day at 3:00 (on that I do insist, just to get some quiet). She climbs her tree, she shouts across the street to our neighbors, she is nervous that I've ordered her a new bike without training wheels, and declares she has no interest in learning to ride it. We have gone nowhere but the loading dock at the post office for two weeks now. Well, occasionally we do go walk around the block. I don't enjoy it. She helped me work on cleaning up the front garden and did a surprisingly great job at pulling the stuff I told her to pull. So it goes. She is amazing and carries on without fear or frustration, cheerfully accepting the changes and taking everything in stride in a way that I find humbling and inspiring. She and her friend FaceTimed the other day and just played their toy pianos for each other for a half an hour. I didn't even really hear them talk. They had a fine time.

Andy (cardiac nurse) toggles between home and work, leaving the house in the dark, coming home in the dark, busy at the hospital all day. Empty busses. The sound of crows through the night sky in an empty downtown. The sound of a streetcar bell ringing four blocks away. He gets home around 9:00 p.m. and goes straight to our neighbor's guest house to shower and change clothes before coming home through the mud-room door, which we haven't used in years. Our neighbors are wonderful, and are letting us use the guest house as a place for him to transition between the outside world and home. His shift was cancelled today and a continuing-education class next week was also cancelled so he is home for the next eight days, and I am grateful. So grateful. It is stressful. There have been many tears (mine) and a lot of stress and a lot of worry and a lot of sadness and then just a whole hell of a lot of trying to do everything right when so much is out of our control.

I know people around the country are also sewing masks at home and some people have asked me about that. I am no expert here β€” I don't pretend to know if they are effective or who is using them. I know that OHSU is not accepting them right now. JoAnn's has collected patterns here and will collect your finished masks for distribution directly "to medical professionals who can best decide how to use them." This article also has information about making masks. I am going to try to make some this week in case they help.

I spent last week assembling and packing up all of the Things of Spring kits to ship off to you. Thank you again so much for your orders. The kits are sold out and I wish I had made more. I always hold out ten or so kits until I know what everyone has received theirs without a problem (and there is always a problem because I always screw something up) and I will trickle those ten back into inventory soon. Don't judge my handwriting on your postcards because it's insane. I know. I was stressed and wanting to get everything out as fast as I could, before our stay-at-home order became official. I do hope you enjoy cross stitching the kit and that it gives you some hours of peace and quiet. I will make the PDF available in the next couple of days as soon as I get organized. ***Update: Here it is! Thank you!

Until then, make pretzels!

25MAggie

For now, Maggie (and Foxie) are staying cozy and warm. If you'd like to make someone a rabbit for Easter, I've made Maggie's pattern available for free for you. Please enjoy making her and send me your pictures when you're finished, or tag them with #maggierabbit or #missmaggierabbit on Instagram. I love seeing them so much. You can't imagine.

Stay well, my friends. Wishing you every good thing in these hard days. XOXO

Holly Jane says: April 01, 2020 at 08:40 AM

Thank you for the Home school sampler, it's very kind of you xx

Jodi Bedard says: April 01, 2020 at 10:07 AM

Hi Alicia!

I recently found your shop and this blog and I love reading everything that you post. Your pictures and recipes are very warm and welcoming which is a huge help during these scary times. I have purchased 3 of your patterns in PDF form...I just love them so much! They are all so cheery and beautiful! My daughter is having her first baby in June (our first grandson!) and I am hoping things are better by then! She is home and staying as calm as she can. I'm so glad that I found your shop and I will definitely be purchasing more from you! I can't wait to see more of your beautiful designs to come. Take care, be safe and be well.

All the best to you and your family,

Jodi

Cristina Baptista says: April 01, 2020 at 11:00 AM

Hi Alicia,
my name is Cristina, I live in Lisbon, Portugal, and I absolutely love your Maggie Rabbit. This week I found the pattern was for free, so I took it, so I'm thanking you.
I hope you and your family stay all alright, in these moments of unknowing what the future brings. Shall we keep smiling and hope for the best.
Sending love. Be safe.
Cristina Baptista

Thank you so much for the free pattern. I think I will make these for my little girls or Easter!

I am thankful to your husband for his service. Right now his job is similar to a soldier. It's very dangerous. We're staying indoors also and have been urging friends and family to do the same. Thank you so much for the free pattern!! We look forward with optimism despite the latest jobless info. Take care and stay safe.

I am so glad for you all that Andy has some time off and how nice of your neighbours to let him use your guest house to help keep you safe. It's certainly very strange times. I hover between lots of business (store cupboard meals/the garden/DIY) and lots of tears. I would write like to curl up in a corner and sew an abundance of Maggies and friends and pretend that this isn't happening at all.
Stay safe, hugs to you all x

Ellen Griffin says: April 03, 2020 at 04:08 AM

I love your blog, it's always been a place of peace for me. And even more so now. I will be making Maggie, thank you for being so generous. xx

Chrisoula says: April 04, 2020 at 07:57 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for all your words and the beauty that you share. Also wanted to let you know that sharing the Maggie Rabbit pattern has been huge in my house. My daughter - she's 13 - has made 3 and will be finishing her 4th today. She has ventured off to her own styling and changed up the pattern a bit. So, thank you. Be well and safe.

Jennifer B. / Brooklyn says: April 04, 2020 at 02:21 PM

I've been thinking about you and your beautiful family, and keeping you all in my prayers.

Lorie Broedel says: April 07, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your life and family, Alicia. Thank you to Andy too! It's nice to know he is able to shed his work life elsewhere and come home to you safe. My husband is an IT Director for a Pharmacy drugstore chain and he still has to go into the office, makes me so nervous. I just want to close off the outside world.

I came online to your blog today because I had pinned your Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake recipe. I make it every year for my daughter's birthday. She turns 6 tomorrow. Her name is Amelia too. I decided to check in on your blog and see how you are all doing through this... Life has gotten so busy that I have about 4 years of your blog to catch up on. But it will be a warm, cozy treat at the end of each day. I look forward to it. Thank you for letting us be apart of your creative world.
Keep safe and healthy, hugs to all of you.
Lorie

As to the cross stitch boy project problem, I suggest dragons, swords, and possibly skulls. Maybe a fun fantasy family crest?

You really ought to consider writing a book.

I used to read your blog years ago when Amelia was really small. I was so excited to see you still blog. You are amazing. I love all the pretty things you make and wish I could sew.😊At least I can look at your pretty pictures.

Therese says: May 04, 2020 at 03:13 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for the pattern!!! My daugther and I have made one each and I wanted to share the pictures with you as you asked, but I do not have social media where I publish things, so not sure how to share them. Could I send you an e-mail?

Best regards,