List of Projects and Not So Much

11ipad1

Hello, dear friends. I'm so sorry it takes me so long to get back here more often. I don't know where the time goes, honestly.

I am thinking I need to make a list of projects that I would like to do. Firstly, I do have work to do, and am almost finished stitching Things of Summer, the next cross-stitch design in my seasonal series. We already have the fabric for this one on hand, and will be able to make 250 kits again. I had ordered this summer fabric back in February and it came right away, which is good. I also ordered fall and winter fabrics and was a bit worried that they might be cancelled or delayed due to virus stuff, but it looks like they are only a bit delayed. I hope to finish Things of Summer this week and will photograph that and show you. We will probably print patterns and assemble these kits before we sell them (rather than taking pre-orders) because we have the materials on hand. So stay tuned for more on that.

I did design a cross stitch for boys and I need to finish the pattern for that! It's completely done (I'm not stitching it, just showing you the computer version) and I just have to finish the pattern stuff then I will release that one for free.

I decided to start a new Volo sweater for Amelia, and I splurged and bought very fancy yarn for that (Woolfolk Far). I guess I've come all the way around on my acrylic bender. Acrylic is soft, it's cheap, but it pills so bad. :( Wah. I was warned. And, as everyone says, it's true that it just does not stretch. However, my child still will not wear any wool that isn't crazy soft. You know what she will wear? Woolfolk Far, the world's softest and loveliest wool yarn (at least in my opinion) that is also quite expensive. But I thought, if ever there were a time when I needed some very beautiful, very soft, very comfortable yarn in my hands and on her body, it is now. So that's on my list.

I ordered a really pretty puzzle and I hope it comes soon.

My quilt blocks stalled out. I haven't done anything with them.

Amelia and I planted ALL of those seeds in our raised beds yesterday. Apparently I bought them last summer and never planted them. I didn't even remember! I opened a little drawer in the kitchen recently and there they all were. We put them in a bowl — all of them, all together — and mixed them all with a cup of sugar (just to spread them out a bit) and then sprinkled them all over the raised beds. Keeping fingers crossed that something comes of them. It will be survival of the fittest.

I am still working on the paper mache mobile and I will be finished soon! I will take pictures of everything and show you. And for those who asked, I just used 1 part flour to 1 part water, cooked it for a few minutes and then strained it. It made a nice smooth paste.

I really love paper mache and I will need to think of another project when I'm done with it.

Mostly I am rather aimless and still trying to find a path to get on. The days run together, and even though we are so tired at the end of the day it feels like not very much is getting done. Is anyone else experiencing this?

For instance, it has literally taken me all day to write this award-winning post.

How are you?

Carlene says: May 11, 2020 at 04:13 PM

Oh, wow, the mention of papier mache made me remember your bird cages of many moons ago. Like another lifetime, eh?

I too have been feeling very distracted and have so many projects on the go because I can't seem to concentrate for very long.
I did however finish my Miss Juniper Kitty and loved every minute of making her. I posted a photo on instagram (Petal49).
I'm looking forward to seeing your new projects.

Love your pasta maker! We bought one about 6 years ago and after a few months the enthusiasm went down and now I don't even know where it is. Ohhh! So sweet to see both of you in the photo! Beautiful mom and daughter! Nice new chairs!!That one thing about living in a city, one gets serious pastries like that. We live in the middle of nowhere and there is no pastry in sight! Lovely that she now has her own hideout!

I have a really good meat filling recipe for ravioli but I see you have one for a cheese filling.....would you mind sharing it?!

All your posts could be award-winning! I look so forward to your charming pictures and lovely words. Definitely feeling the same way, that it's hard to get a lot accomplished these days!

Mixing seeds with sugar---wow! My mind kind of was just blown! I've never thought of doing it that way, but I'll be eager to hear of your results because sowing seeds has been very hit or miss for me, and I would love any more tips I can get.

My motivation tends to come in waves, and I find that the more I avoid the news and being online in general, the more motivated I tend to be. Coincidence? I think not :)

(Although if I just read your blog and ones like it, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case!)

My nephew Charlie, who is 14, is on his second beanie hat in Woolfolk Far, both of which I’ve knit for him. He wore a hole in the first one from wearing it so much, so I made him a second one. It’s lovely yarn. :)

I have never used woolfolk far but I have come to the opinion that my knitting is a hobby and not a cost saving move. So I indulge myself with nice yarns that make the process itself pleasurable. Now more than ever.

It is very hard indeed to focus right now. I had finally gotten focused, and signed up for three college classes this spring (art and yoga). And my son was supposed to be playing baseball, graduating and going to college this fall. Now we are all just in suspended animation, waiting for the virus,to play itself out...

It's TOTALLY that way. what did I do with my day?! and lots of tired at the end of the day. I edited an essay-in-process for the first time in months. That I had any mental space to do it was miraculous! so I say you are doing great! and it looks like you found your pasta maker 'thing' for lack of the right word, yay for that! God bless you and bless you and bless you!

I hope you have better luck with your Zulily puzzle order than I did! After waiting weeks with no update as to when they would be shipped, I finally gave up the ghost and canceled the order last Friday =(

Alice S says: May 12, 2020 at 02:53 AM

I'm so happy that your Things of Summer cross stitch kit isn't too far behind. Things of Spring arrived just-in-time after the stay home orders took effect. It was a welcome project to keep me busy with something pretty. I've been rather unfocused since completing it. You are not alone in focus struggles.

Lynn Marie says: May 12, 2020 at 05:13 AM

Oh yes....the mundaneness of the day to day routine, the back and forth weather from spring to winter--seriously messing with my head. Yesterday was my worse day so far. Quarantine, Lockdown, Sheltering-in-place or whatever we are calling it today---I want it to be over. I used to long for the excuse to not have to go anywhere but now I have had so much of it I am over it. HaHa. Lovely award-winning post Alicia--I needed that. ☺

Stefanie Price says: May 12, 2020 at 06:05 AM

This COVID thing is all becoming a bit tedious...(NOT a complaint...just a statement!)...you MUST offer yourself GRACE!...you are doing A LOT, and you have a young person in your home as well...and this I say as an older woman, well on the other side of child rearing!!! BEING there for Amelia is HUGE!!...ENJOY this time, as it will be FLEETING!!...LOVE LOVE your blog posts...however, whenever you do them!!!

I am so glad that you found your pasta maker!...As always I enjoy your photographs and written entries so very much. Thank you and may all be well with you and yours.

Michaelanne Neal says: May 12, 2020 at 08:20 AM

I love ALL that you do and share...Beautiful picture of you and Mimi! I am struggling to find the motivation to do anything...Just praying that this is over...Your posts are joyful..and hopeful! Thank YOU!

oooh, that puzzle is also a paint by number! I splurged and bought it in February. Lots of relaxing fun.

I SO get it. I'm the mother, wife, friend, sister best known for "Getting Things Done!" But these past few months it's not happening and its OK. I'm beginning to see, I'm beginning to feel, I'm finally beginning to understand this slowing down is my true, healthy default mode and all and I mean all, I'm old, those previous years were because I HAD to get things done and so I forgot. Let's embrace this possibly once in a lifetime chance for the freedom of time and space then encourage listening to ourselves readjusting to be more kindly in the future. Thank you always for sharing your beautiful photos.

This is a time you will always remember with your darling daughter. Thank you for continuing to write to and for us. I love reading your posts.

I so look forward to your posts while all the while failing to put anything up on mine.
I wonder if we have the same rose. I think ours is Mme Alfred Carriere and she is having a very good year.
My mood fluctuates with the weather which has turned chilly after some really basking temperatures. I planted beans out far too soon. Your seed planting sounds just right.

Maryellen says: May 12, 2020 at 12:11 PM

I have always wanted to make a painted paper mache globe like the one at the beginning of “Emma” (the 1996 Alan Cumming/Gwyneth Paltrow version) with tiny portraits of special places and people around their village. And, in todays “in” box some wonderful extra large red/white polka dotted mushrooms at the center of a happy outdoor dining table. I'm happy to send a photo if you are interested. Good luck with the pasta and seeds!

Barbara Prime says: May 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Oh my goodness, do I feel that last sentiment! I can't believe it's been 2 months already that my kids have been home from school. Some days go well: we all get along, they learn some things, I get stuff done around the house. Other days are a disaster, like today. We all forget what day of the week it is, and have to set alarms for school meetings. My older child misses his friends desperately, but understands too well what is going on in the world, and accepts that staying home is best. The younger child asks for hugs at least 50 times a day. I try to find comfort in my knitting, books, and the good food I can make us all.

i watch your posts, agog at all you do. as someone who is immune~compromised & cannot 'go out' to shop? all energy has gone to endless work~arounds / ordering / receiving / rest. so, YES! to the 'tired at the end of the day & what did i get done?' i think we all just : h a v e : to be extra kind to ourselves, accepting frazzle~brain / fatigue / & / projects that stall or never even start. just : b e i n g : & accepting that. the beauty of your images is wonderful.

Elizabeth says: May 12, 2020 at 03:15 PM

Those of you with kids at home, certainly are busy!! I am an old grandma with just 2 of us to take care of and I agree...I am tired at end of the day yet having accomplished almost nothing!! This time is taking a lot of energy from us I do believe!! Being separated so long from those we love is hard!!

Sarah G says: May 12, 2020 at 03:34 PM

Your blog is lovely -- your last post there was a link to the book Draw Every Little Thing and I totally went down the rabbit hole with that one! It prompted me to start watercolor painting again after a gap since high school (an awfully long time ago), it's really quite wonderful-- painting again felt like a whole other room opening up in my brain. Lovely. Yours is one of three blogs I read for a pick-me-up and "check-in": I also read YarnHarlot and IkatBag. And I was wondering what you were going to do with the quilt blocks! This is quite an odd time, I'm lucky if my son (15) gets out of bed at all. Best,

I think since the world's slowed down, time has gone faster. March and April were a blur to me and May is going just as fast. I have several packets of flowers to sow, but it's been so cold and rainy here in Indiana. I'm going to try mixing them all together and hope for the best, too.
The picture of you and Amelia is so sweet. I love her freckles. Enjoy these precious days with her.