Eight is Great

11SD12

We went walking at the Sandy River Delta last weekend and it was so perfect and flat and gorgeous and quiet and beautiful that when I came off Thousand Acres Road and turned into the meadow I just broke down and started to weep. I couldn't take it. Andy stood there with me while I cried. It was so perfect and the world is so hard and I never wanted to leave. I hope to soon be back.

14Mimi6

Our glorious daughter turned eight years old yesterday. The three of us went up to the woods at the end of our street and sat on the hill and ate Burgerville burgers and fries (her choice). She called chickadees with her bird stuffed animal (that sings; it's from Audubon) and they actually answered (it was amazing). She played for over an hour among the fallen logs and lichen patches with her many new LOL dolls, quietly talking in all of the voices of all of her dolls. She had Zoom calls with her family and opened all of her sweet presents and had chicken paprika (also her choice) for dinner. Last night before she went up to bed she said it was the best birthday ever. I'm so proud of my girl and I just love her so so so very much.

P.S. Thank you for every single Things of Autumn kit orders! They are now sold out, but we are planning to make 100 each of many of my older kits, including this one, over the next several months so stay tuned if you are interested. XO

Happy birthday to Amelia. I love her birthday photo. 8 is indeed great. I have an 8 year old granddaughter, the middle of 3 girls, and I appreciate her 8-ness all the time. I am sorry that Amelia missed out on the usual birthday celebrations but this year will stand out as perfect in its own way. She made excellent food choices. Thank you for making more kits available. I wasn't able to buy summer earlier and would love to get that one especially. We are heading into summer now and my garden is a solace in this crazy year.

Happy 8th birthday Amelia - What a wonderful birthday! As a grandma, I always felt birthdays were bittersweet! So glad you share your life with us. Yes, these are difficult, strange times, and never in a million years would I ever have thought we'd be living in a crazy world. One of my daughters lives in London - I hope we can travel safely at some point. My son and his family (wife and 4 kids - one brand new baby) live 2+ hours away and we cannot visit often because of covid. I worry about the world my grandkids are in and I hope and pray things improve - with covid, the environment, and even politics. There is a movie called "My Octopus Teacher" and it is truly amazing - it's on Netflex and you'd all love it!

Brenda from Victoria, B.C. says: October 17, 2020 at 09:39 AM

Dear Alicia

I feel badly for you and for all of us having to go through this pandemic. It truly is a stressful time. Alicia you have many fans that love your blog and love how gentle you are! We care about you and your family. I hope the situation will improve someday and these days will be distant memories for all of us. In the meantime take care.

Happy Birthday to wonderful Amelia!

Judith Hogan says: October 17, 2020 at 02:47 PM

I can not believe this sweet child is eight years old. I've been following you since she was a wee babe.

Michaelanne Neal says: October 17, 2020 at 03:06 PM

Happy Birthday to sweet Mimi! I LOVE your photos...They are always a comfort and a joy. Sending you love and hugs! Thank you for sharing all the beauty that you share....It truly makes a difference. You are a bright light!

rose knight says: October 17, 2020 at 04:43 PM

I cannot believe 7 plus years have gone by so quickly. I remember reading your blog the first time and your daughter was just a baby. She has grown into such a lovely young lady. I don't mean by the way she looks. She is a cutie but by the way you describe how kind and thoughtful she is. Good on the two of you for raising such a nice young lady.

Kathleen Grady says: October 18, 2020 at 10:03 AM

what joy it is to see her face. so beautiful and shining sweetness.

Happy Birthday Amelia,
I can’t believe she is 8!
I have read your posts for so long, it’s like you are a friend, the sad times, the joy of the tiny little bundle that entered your lives, watching her grow along with all your beautiful words, photographs and craft always makes me feel so happy.
xxBrenda

Dear Alicia,

I have ordered (and thoroughly, delightfully enjoyed) the Things of Spring, Summer and Autumn Cross Stitch kits. Did I miss the offering of a Winter Cross Stitch Kit?
If I did miss it, will a Things of Winter Cross Stitch Kit be one of the older kits you will be offering again in the next couple of months? Thanks for sharing your beautiful talents with us!

Happy Birthday Sweet Amelia!

So happy that you had a wonderful birthday! Love your 8 birthday hat and how amazing your parents are to celebrate your special day in such a fun way!

Enjoy your year!

It is so hard to believe that Amelia is 8 now. Wow, time really flies! Happy birthday, Amelia!

Eight?!? Count again please. She is a tiny cherub baby forever to me.

Also, trying to come to grips with how I’ve been subscribed to your blog longer than I was subscribed to Seventeen magazine. Time passing is getting out of hand.

Happy birthday to your sweet daughter! I too have been following your blog since she was a little baby. Sounds like she is a thoughtful and kind child! I wish a great world for her and for my little granddaughter. Now a days the world is a disgrace. Thank you for the lovely photos Alicia!

Belated wishes to your sweet girl for a very happy birthday! Eight *is* great--my niece joined the club in July; it's amazing to see her becoming her own little person with whom us grownups can have real conversations about so very much. Sending you and your family warm thoughts from New York. <3

Happy Birthday Amelia. She is growing into such a lovely sweet girl. My girls are starting back at school for term 4 after months of lockdown with online learning here, in Melbourne, Australia

What a beautiful way to celebrate a birthday! Looking at the picture makes me miss my own grand-daughter (5 years old) whom I haven't met for 6 months now. Regards Naomi https://divineangelnumbers.com/

Goodness, I can't believe Amelia is eight already! Remember last year when you had a house full of children to entertain at a party?! Yet, this quiet, sweet birthday has been her favorite. How wonderful! Happy belated birthday to Amelia and thank you for sharing all of this with us.

These are difficult times and even more difficult when you have to parent young children. You’re doing a great job!

I find it very very therapeutic to get outside too. I’m just wondering if you guys ever venture over to the west side? Although not true hikes, there are some lovely parks with flat walkways on the west side of Portland. I feel as if your daughter would really enjoy them too. One is Commonwealth Lake Park in Cedar Hills area which is a nice walk around a large pond with some viewing areas to watch the water fowl. Another is Mill Pond Park (in Forest Heights) with a trail system that goes around a pond too. Some ducks live there.
I have found during the pandemic that a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered for our mental well-being but we are fortunate to live in a city with 3 counties and many beautiful outdoor spaces that are easy to access. Take some breaks to explore and breathe! 💗

Miss Madeleine says: November 05, 2020 at 01:50 PM

My daughter and your daughter grew up at the same time. I watched your daughter grow, and I watched mine. She's also eight. All three of my girls were born on the 8th, so it is definitely my favourite number and when they turn 8 in this house (the Octavias) we throw a BIG PARTY. Happy Birthday!

Love the birthday photo, so gorgeous and quiet. Perfect for this year. I’m so glad you can still get out and visit places near to your heart. Keep making it happen. It is a balm.